- Gnar was designed by Gypsylord and Meddler .
- Gnar is voiced by .
- The name "Gnar" is another word for the sound of snarling or growling.
- Gnar's name spelled backwards is Rang, which could be a reference to a boomerang ('Rang) switching directions for its return.
- Gnar's name may be inspired by from the series.
- The way Gnar's name is pronounced in the Champion Spotlight video - Nar -, means fire in Arabic which might as well be a reference to his primitive origin.
- Gnar is about four human years old.
- Gnar is unaware that he transforms, however, that may change when he grows older. He also retains his personality in his mega form .
- The concept of Gnar build up on the idea of monster style of transformation, using characters such as . , , etc. as inspiration. This was combined with a fish out of water tale (Gnar, frozen in ice for thousands of years, awakens to a very different world)
- Gnar also bears resemblance to
, the adorable chaotic alien protagonist of .
- Gnar's taunt is a direct reference to Stitch's favorite insouciant response; rolling upside-down into a headstand and waving his rear at enemies.
- Some of Gnar's concept arts bear a striking resemblance to the Pokémon Cubone and it's evolution Marowak.
- These pokemon even have an attack called "Bonemerrang" in which they throw their bones like a boomerang.
- In his sneak peak, Gnar appears in tribal looking paintings with his family.
- They were attacked by a mysterious one-eyed entity that seems to have 2 horns or tentacles. His family is depicted as knocked away, but he faces the monster and seemingly uses his to fight it, with unknown success.
- Apparently defeated, . His official lore takes place after his escape and destroying parts of the woods in his . took interest and attempted to hunt him down as a prize trophy. encases Gnar for centuries in true ice to preserve him, and ultimately awakens him again to fight the Watchers, who are on the brink of their return
- The creature that attacked him has been speculated to be several different things, ranging from Lissandra's Watchers to a Voidborn, as it has some rudimentary similarities with .
- Mini Gnar has the fewest active abilities of any ranged champion - even his ultimate is a passive effect.
- Gnar is the second champion to have separate champion portraits, one for and ; the first being and .
- Gnar is one of two champions to have a different chat name. The first being Anivia/Eggnivia.
- When chatting in Mega Gnar form, Gnar gains the title "Mega Gnar".
- The headdress on Gnar is similar to that of cancelled champion
- This may imply was responsible for his fate, similar to and
- Gnar's lore is told from the perspective of .
- Gnar picked the use of a boomerang up from his father and fashioned his own weapon after his father's .
- It is unknown where he keeps the boomerang as .
- Mega Gnar features his own taunt, dance, joke and laugh. His dance is inspired by the Classic Donkey Kong.
- Gnar is the only yordle to have a tail. This might be due to an evolutionary nature of yordles which caused them to lose their tails over the years. Being an ancient yordle, Gnar isn't evolved like everyone else.
- Gnar is one of seven champions to have more than 4 skills, the others being
, , , , , and .
- Gnar was the seventh champion to have more than 4 skills.
- The boulder that Mega Gnar throws bears a striking resemblence to the fist in Riot's logo.
- While most would consider Gnar's dialogue childish babbling, he is actually speaking his own native language which has yet to be named , although he is capable of mimicking other champion's lines, as seen in his taunts (albeit with some pronunciation difficulties).
- [ |
- Classic Gnar is a reference to and possibly .
- Mini Gnar appears to have a blood stain on his left cheek. This is likely a result of battling Rengar immediately after he discovers the true nature of Gnar's transformation.
- [ |
- The idea behind the skin was to resemble Gnar's desire to live out his wish to be a dinosaur .
- Dino Gnar may have been inspired by Boo from .
- Dino Gnar may also refer to from .
- He also has a striking resemblance to , whose name backwards spells Gnar's name and uses a boomerang as a weapon.
- Mega Dino Gnar has a striking resemblance to
from the video game series.
- Instead of a boulder, Mega Gnar will throw parts of a building. This is likely a reference to Rampage.
- The skin is very likely to be a reference to a scene in the movie, where Stitch pretends to be a monster and destroy a city. The splash art also shows a similar scene.
- When recalling, Dino Gnar will play with toy blocks spelling "LOL" as a reference to the game nickname.
- Figurines of and can be seen in the foreground of the splash art.
- Gnar will befriend nearly everyone that is kind and will play with him .
- Pix, and the Poros are highly qualified friend candidates for him. and
- Gnar has a strained relationship with who tried to hunt him down, at the time unaware that Gnar and Mega Gnar were one and the same. However, he does not dislike Rengar and seemingly forgave him since their encounter.
- . froze Gnar to preserve him for the upcoming Watchers return
- is very interested in him.